Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_11_] Sue[_11_] is offline

Default When to harvest parsnips?

Jim S" wrote
JakeD wrote in
Hello!

I'd appreciate some advice on parsnip harvesting. I planted a good
number of them in the Spring. Now they are almost three ft tall, with
bright green healthy leaves. When should I start digging them up? I'm
in the Southwest of England, in case that makes a difference... I
read
somewhere that it's best not to wait until after a couple of frosts
have occurred in the autumn. Is that good advice?

Thanks,

NEVER, NEVER until they have had frost on them.

They always do taste better after they've had a couple of frosts on
them. We normally leave ours in the ground and dig a couple up whenever
we want to use them. Unless it was likely to freeze really hard for a
long time I don't think they'd come to much harm.

--
Sue