Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default When to harvest parsnips?

On 07/09/2012 23:32, Sue wrote:
Jim S" wrote
JakeD wrote in
Hello!

I'd appreciate some advice on parsnip harvesting. I planted a good
number of them in the Spring. Now they are almost three ft tall, with
bright green healthy leaves. When should I start digging them up? I'm
in the Southwest of England, in case that makes a difference... I read
somewhere that it's best not to wait until after a couple of frosts
have occurred in the autumn. Is that good advice?

Thanks,

NEVER, NEVER until they have had frost on them.

They always do taste better after they've had a couple of frosts on
them. We normally leave ours in the ground and dig a couple up whenever
we want to use them. Unless it was likely to freeze really hard for a
long time I don't think they'd come to much harm.

If you have plenty then do your own test, try some before frosting and
the rest after.
Peoples tastes vary, but I always prefer them frosted, to the extent
that I will sometimes put shop bought parsnips out if we are due a
frosty night.