Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default When to harvest parsnips?

Jim S wrote in news:XnsA0C7BA0576EC1jimjimXscottcouk@
81.171.92.236:

JakeD wrote in
:

Hello!

I'd appreciate some advice on parsnip harvesting. I planted a good
number of them in the Spring. Now they are almost three ft tall, with
bright green healthy leaves. When should I start digging them up? I'm
in the Southwest of England, in case that makes a difference... I read
somewhere that it's best not to wait until after a couple of frosts
have occurred in the autumn. Is that good advice?

Thanks,

NEVER, NEVER until they have had frost on them.

That's interesting. I have always dug some when I can see a decent size
crown. Depends on the variety perhaps? I can't tell the difference, frost
or no frost. I grow "Tender and True" and "Hollow Crown"
I have not grown anything this year, so perhaps I am out of date.

Baz