Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default Scorching hot here

On 2012-09-08 21:46:35 +0100, said:

Baz wrote:
The hottest days of the year.

Where's here?
Pretty hot in our back garden today. Nick says it was 28 when he was out
tending his bees.

How much honey did you get this year, Vicky? It's been such a dire year
for bees and now - I hope - a good finish for them for their winter
stores.

Why do you say that Sacha? All the beekeepers here were expecting a bad year
as the weather has been diabolical and yet we have had a bumper year for our
bees.
We have all been analysing weather data and the mean temperature has been
well
below average, the mean rainfall has been well above average and the
sunshine has
been the lowest for 100 years. Only one thing has been different and that
has been
the lack of wind - and bees hate wind! Instead of wondering if we could keep
them
alive this summer, it now looks as if there will be a small honey crop.

Phil
Beekeeping in the Northern Highlands of Scotland, 40 miles north of
Inverness