Old 23-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Frogleg

Default Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :(

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:27:02 -0400, BillC
wrote:

Hi all, this is my first year planting bulbs. I'm West Michigan.

I ordered and received 20 reblooming irises from Michigan Bulb. Now, I
know they are known for shipping poor product, but when the iris bulbs
came, they looked very healthy. No mold, no discoloration or rot, they
were large, firm (not soggy), and had good color.

snip details

Iris bloom later than things like daffodils. However, the description
of dead, brown foliage is ominous. In a much milder climate (SE
Virginia) Iris leaves are always green. Iris grows not from bulbs, but
from rhizomes -- sort of knobby thick roots. Who knows what Michigan
Bulb might have promoted. as "iris". It appears as if you planted
correctly for iris, but not for whatever Michigan Bulb shipped you.
Live and learn. Don't ever order from that company. People who have
real iris growing are often (always?) looking for someone to give the
multiplying plants/rhizomes to. Iris 'rebloom' for decades.