Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Novice gardener training a wisteria

furnerc wrote:
I planted a wisteria at the front of my house last year, the plan
being to eventually cover all the brickwork. This year virtually all
of the growth has been from one shoot. My question is, should I
train this in a sort of zig-zag to cover the lower part of the house
(only a few feet between window and door), or should I train it
straight up to the first floor and trust that next year's growth will
cover the brickwork below?

Thanks for any pointers.

Wisteria will grow into a big heavy vine. It is not self supporting and
will not cling to a brick wall so you have to supply a substantial trellis
that it can twine around that will hold the weight in years to come,
otherwise it will keep falling down and unless the leaves get good exposure
to the sun it will not grow well. I would be gentle with it for a while
just lightly tying leaders to the trellis in the general direction you want
them to go.