Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
HellT HellT is offline

Default Lawn Fungus/Mushroom?

On 9/9/2012 7:47 AM, Don Green wrote:

A couple of years ago I took down a tree that was dying. I had the
stump ground down, but of course all the root structure is still
underground.

Since then, I've noticed a lot of what I think are mushrooms that I
can only describe as resembling cauliflower growing in that same area
of my lawn. When I Googled it, I found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anitagould/3705574945/

which is exactly what I have.

First, please, don't anyone tell me that they're beautiful and helpful
and that I should leave them alone. They're going. Period. This my
damn front lawn.

To remove them, I end up taking out big divets of my lawn, and they
still grown back in different locations. Basically, each week before
I mow, I go around with a shovel and dig up the weeks growth of these
things.

Any thoughts on getting rid of them would be helpful.
ANY other input would not.

Well, obviously, the mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of the fungus
colony that is growing on the decaying roots left behind from your
tree. You have two options, the first being: dig up the lawn and
remove all of the remaining roots and the surrounding soil that
contains the fungus. Since that's a ridiculous proposition, you take
option number two, which is simply: let nature take its course. Over
time, the roots will continue decomposing, and as less of that organic
matter is left in the soil, the size of the fungal colony and the
number of mushrooms will decrease until they're pretty much gone. In
the meantime, every time a mushroom pops up, you remove it.

Ain't nature grand?