Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default storing seed packets.

On 11/09/2012 17:44, David Hill wrote:
If you are like me you pick up packets of seeds over the year and find
you have them all over the place, often in places you can't find till
it's to late to sow them.
Any ideas on the best way to keep them all together.
I am wondering about one of those concertina document folders with
alphabetical sections.
David @ the sunny and now rain free end of Swansea Bay.

I keep most of mine in a big black plastic storage tub from Ikea. Have
done so for a number of years. Seems to preserve the seeds well enough
and is mouse proof. It is left in a cool (unheated) dry place.

The seeds I gather myself for storage such as runner bean seeds and peas
I store in the wife's old tights hung from the rafters in the attic
where they get plenty of fresh air but are dry and more or less frost
free. I once made the mistake of trying to store runner bean seeds in a
plastic tub (with a lid) and the following Spring the lot was one
rotting mass. So I always use a cool, dry, airy place for seeds with
high moisture content now and the big black Ikea storage tub for bought
packets of seed - which are dry enough not to rot.

Every month with the exception of December I thumb through every packet
in the tub and see what needs planting. There seems to be almost
something to plant every month. I guess a more ordered approach might be
to have one tub per month, but some seeds have two planting seasons.