Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Blackberries/raspberries in pots

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:08:42 +0000, Mitulove
wrote:

I've read that blackberries and raspberries can be grown in pots with a
diameter of at least 15". Will a pot that size really only accommodate
one plant? It just seems to me that when we had berries growing in a
pasture as a kid, they were quite happy to grow in a great tangled heap.

I grow raspberries in 30 litre tubs, 5 canes to a tub with a wigwam of
bamboo canes for support. With three tubs, we have enough for
ourselves and some to give away. I use a mix of John Innes No 3
compost and Perlite (you can use grit but the Perlite does the same
job - helps drainage - and weighs less so tubs are easier to move
around) with 25 litres of compost to 5 litres of Perlite. Initially I
mixed in a couple of handful of bone meal. I work another handful into
the compost each spring and feed with a high potash fertiliser (e.G.
tomato food) once the flowers start to develop.

One tub is now in its fifth year; the others are in their second. All
are doing well.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.