Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Which Laurel?

On 12/09/2012 13:42, wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I presume this is Laurel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meow224/
I just want to be sure which type of laurel it is, as it might be
usable for food. I think its Laurus nobilis. The blackish fruit are
half an inch across.

IMG_5904-3 Laurel?

I don't. I think that, if you cut into them, they will have a stone.
It's Prunus laurocerasus. You probably won't kill yourself if you
use it in the quantities most people use bay leaves in, but it's
certainly a possibility.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Forget it.
The leaves used to be used crushed in the bottom of a Jar to gas butterflys.