Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Drainage and new lawn

golfmeghol wrote:
Bob F;968636 Wrote:
golfmeghol wrote:-
my current lawn suffers from poor drainage, mainly due to heavy clay
subsoil and being enclosed by trees/conifers. it alsosuffers from
mushrooms/lichen and other generalweeds.
I am going to replace the lawn(will probably wait till next spring)
but was wondering if i removed the current lawn now, dug out and laid
the drainage channels and then relaid with topsoil and covered with a
permeable membrane will this give me the best start to laying the
lawn next year or should i just do it all at once-

Actually, fall is the best time to start a new lawn. That way it has
the winter
rains to help get the roots extablished.

actually i live in north west england and if i was to lay a lawn now
it would be dead by spring. Fall may be best in america but
definately not here in 'sunny' manchester.
Thanks for the reply

It works fine here in 'sunny' Seattle. You might be surprised. Ask a local sod
supplier.