Old 13-09-2012, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Killing Ivy

On 13/09/2012 15:36, Emery Davis wrote:
On 09/13/2012 02:11 PM, stuart noble wrote:

Overkill. Just cut it low down and leave it to die off. IME it does no
damage to brickwork. I removed the tendrils of a huge beast with a 4"
paint scraper.

Wow, your ivy is a lot less vigorous than mine, apparently. We strip it
off the buildings and cut it to ground level, and then do the same thing
2 years later. It grows at an amazing pace and seems to thrive on being
cut back. I can't count the number of times I've had it all the way down.

Big stems drill and fill roots side with glyphosate after cutting down.

I'd be interested in a solution too. I like it in some places, but in
others it's a major PITA.

There is an interesting parasitic fungus?/plant you can infect it with
that decrease vigour and has curious fruits.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown