Old 23-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Rate of growth of Young Bur Oaks

Roland Saldanha wrote:
I have a young Bur Oak on the front lawn. I estimate it has grown close
to 4-5 feet in height from July to now! (currently stands at about 20

I think the explanation is in the wet and mild summer we had this year.
All the bur oaks I've seen in town have had multiple growth spurts this
season, which is unusual. Our own lacey oak (a rather slow-growing species)
has doubled in height this year. Count your blessings, 'cause summers like
these don't come often in Central Texas.

I do not believe I am over watering. Since I followed directions on the

City water does not have the same effect on plants as rain does. I'm not sure
what's the reason, but plants respond to rain a whole lot more than regular
waterings.

possibility. I am concerned that the tree may be growing too fast and
the wood will be weak. I would appreciate any insights into how fast is

It should be fine.

too fast for this kind of tree. Secondly, I am curious as to how I should
manage the situation to keep both lawn and tree happy.

I'm assuming you have mulch around the tree. Just water deeply once every 4
or 5 days.

Cheers.

--
Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?