Old 14-09-2012, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default New greenhouse

On 14/09/2012 11:45, wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message

I'm about to buy a new greenhouse - plain aluminium and toughened glass.
At least 8 x 10.

There seem to be several makes available (Halls, Robinsons, Eden, Elite,
etc) which all seem to be very similar. Any recommendations or things to
avoid from experience?

Plenty of roof vents, double doors and internal bracing are all good things,
generally found in the bigger houses, I have 4 Halls magnum 8x14's and have
never had a problem, they survived the 87 storm and all those since without
losing a single pane of glass!

Something that is often forgotten is that roof vents are ineffectual
without floor vents - or at least enough leakage! I have seen people
remove panes at the bottom for that reason. We have a south-facing
conservatory and the roof vent area is 15% of the floor area, but we
have five 20x20 cm floor vents, and it does NOT get to be like a
blast furnace when we are out and the sun shines. Yes, it gets hot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What a shame that commercial glasshouse manufactures don't know that.