Old 14-09-2012, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike[_2_] Muddymike[_2_] is offline

Default Killing Ivy

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

On 09/13/2012 05:18 PM, stuart noble wrote:
On 13/09/2012 15:36, Emery Davis wrote:
On 09/13/2012 02:11 PM, stuart noble wrote:
On 13/09/2012 11:57, mark wrote:
I have some very old and well established ivy growing up a a very old
outbuilding.

I want it gone. Mechanical means (ie., a mattock) would damage the old
brick work. Round-up is not effective on the glossy leaves.

I'm looking for a chemical warfare answer. The ground is just
shingle and
part of the drive. In previous years a dose of sodium chlorate would
have
done the job but is no longer readily available.

Any ideaas?

mark

Overkill. Just cut it low down and leave it to die off. IME it does no
damage to brickwork. I removed the tendrils of a huge beast with a 4"
paint scraper.

Wow, your ivy is a lot less vigorous than mine, apparently. We strip it
off the buildings and cut it to ground level, and then do the same thing
2 years later. It grows at an amazing pace and seems to thrive on being
cut back. I can't count the number of times I've had it all the way
down.

I'd be interested in a solution too. I like it in some places, but in
others it's a major PITA.

-E

Of course I should have added, "and dig out the roots". Didn't think it
was necessary :-)

I haven't dug out any of my ivy roots, or used herbicide, just plucked off
new growth every few weeks, it soon gave up.

Mike