Old 15-09-2012, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default New greenhouse

On 2012-09-14 11:57:08 +0100, David Hill
said:

On 14/09/2012 09:33, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm about to buy a new greenhouse - plain aluminium and toughened glass.
At least 8 x 10.

There seem to be several makes available (Halls, Robinsons, Eden, Elite,
etc) which all seem to be very similar. Any recommendations or things
to avoid from experience?

TIA

In the "Old days" we reckoned that 1/8th of the roof as vents.

Ray remembers 1/6th in aluminium greenhouses. Our big double is 50' by
100' and has roof vents and two double doors one one side but no side
vents. Seems to work. He reckons that side vents in a smaller, domestic
set up might be a good idea but in this instance, size does matter. ;-)
If we think of those pretty greenhouses seen in older house's gardens,
many of them are long and narrow and have side windows that open. PS Why
do I know these roof vents as 'lights' from my CI childhood? I don't
think I know anyone over here that calls them that. Or does it perhaps
have another meaning I've forgotten?

The top windows in attics used to be called skylights in my childhood. I
don't know about now.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/