Old 15-09-2012, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Allotment question

wrote in message
Hi people

I'm not sure what to think of this...

We've had a council allotment for over 30 years. Water has
always been the biggest problem. The council eventually did
put in cattle-style troughs nearby, but people are expected
to fill their watering cans from the trough and carry it
back to their allotment some 40 yards away. Some sneaky
buggers attach a hose to the trough and spray for hours. But
of course nobody snitches to the council.

I would say that water is the biggest problem on an
allotment. In Oxford, so I understand, they have standpipes
on which to attach hoses. Where we are, some 30 miles away,
there is nothing except an occasional cattle trough.

Get yourself some sort of greenhouse or anything with a
roof, and collect your own water via a water butt from the
greenhouse or polytunnel.

someone