Old 16-09-2012, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment question

In article ,
On 2012-09-16 08:45:36 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

I have found this topic very interesting, I have a bit of land -not
quite half an acre - doing nothing and I was wondering about offering
it for someone to use as an allotment. Reading the comments it might be
more trouble than it is worth. My husband suggested planting with fruit
trees but that makes even more work. Hopefully I will get inspired over
the winter :-)

Christmas trees - fairly fast growing crop - and then 'cut your own'?!

Plant a mixture of coppiceable natives: hazel, oak, beech, ash,
maple etc., let them establish, plant some bulbs underneath, and
sell the coppicing for firewood (or give it away) whenever it
needs it. Minimal hassle, maximum ecological benefit, and a lot
of recreational value.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.