Old 16-09-2012, 07:15 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
snip

I have found this topic very interesting, I have a bit of land -not quite
half an acre - doing nothing and I was wondering about offering it for
someone to use as an allotment. Reading the comments it might be more
trouble than it is worth. My husband suggested planting with fruit trees but
that makes even more work.
Not necessarily. If it's as big a space as that, you could plant fruit trees on non-dwarfing rootstocks and let them do their own thing. We look after an urban nature reserve and various fruit trees have crept in - apples, plums, cherries - and all are cropping happily. Quince, medlar, mulberry and fig need very little attention. I you have a large space and a lot of trees, and you're not looking to sell, then you don't need to maximise production - just let things grow, and regard the fruit crop as a bonus.