Old 17-09-2012, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Unwanted Bamboo

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Barnie wrote:

A few years ago I planted a small bamboo plant in my garden, now
HORROR, it is coming up all over the garden and the original is huge
and I can't control it. Any ideas please.

Move. And don't tell your neighbors where or they will hunt you down.

Wins the doll.

You are in for a long hard road. Whether you use herbicide or muscle, or
both, it will probably take years. Even after you have followed every
runner and sprayed every shoot you will have to go around every year (or
more often) and check that some little bit has not survived. Every
surviving fragment has in its genes taking over the world. Note that it can
run for metres, even under hard surfaces, and come up unexpectedly elsewhere
including your neighbour's place. In one case I know of it actually pushed
up shoots through an asphalt driveway.