Old 17-09-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild Plums

On 09/17/2012 10:48 AM, stuart noble wrote:
On 17/09/2012 09:07, Emery Davis wrote:
On 09/16/2012 11:47 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
Sounds like what the French call Mirabelles, small round plums from
which they make a favourite jam.

That was my thought also.

Do they come in 3 colours (red yellow and green? We have some locally
that were obviously planted by the council to form a kind of high hedge.
Small round fruit about 10 mm in diameter but began dropping about a
month ago. They didn't look particularly appetising and the birds
certainly weren't interested, so I left them alone too.

There is a fair variation in colour, and there are a few different
varieties. The do drop pretty early. We grow 'Mirabelle de Nancy' and
the only difference is that the birds love them. They're not
particularly sweet, but make nice jam or tarts.