Old 18-09-2012, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment question

On 09/17/2012 08:22 PM, wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

I do like this suggestion very much Nick but I don't think that I know
enough about the management side of it to try.

How about poplars, is it wet enough?

Why not plant willow then coppice it every 4 or 5 years for fuel, or
take up basket making.

Both poplars and willows make ghastly fuel - they are murder to
keep going in an open fire unless very dry, in which case they
burn up in no time at all. There are lots of much better trees
and shrubs, except for very boggy ground.

Agreed, though I do get rid of larger willow branches in the wood stove.
What fits goes through the shredder.

I was thinking about the poplar as an investment, I believe there is
some market for it and the turn around is only around 20 years.