Old 18-09-2012, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default large-ish lawn tractor advice

On 08/24/2012 02:05 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:08:21 +0200, Martin wrote:

Slower revving, less wear?

Maybe more torque from the larger capcity engine as well. Sheer BHP isn't
the complete picture.

Reviving this to thank you all for the help. Your suggestions were
right on re engine size.

I demoed an Iseki sxg19 (2008, 600h) and a Kubota G21 (2003, 1500h) last
Saturday, from different local dealers. Both have different advantages:
the Kubota was more compact and a bit more maneuverable, it has electric
assist steering where the Iseki has hydraulic steering. The Iseki mows
at a lower rev and is quieter, but above all has a larger grass chute,
larger box, better hydraulics, and much heavier construction: e.g. the
front axle is cast iron like an agri tractor, the central "bridge" and
rods are much thicker. This adds about 100 kg of weight over the Kubota
but having broken the Countax multiple times I'm willing to live with
that. The Kubota fellow even explained that another client had broken
one on a curb, not exactly a point in his favour!

A couple of other things I preferred about the Iseki were higher
clearance, 2 cutting blades (vs 3), better deck design -- the Kubota
requires you to get off the tractor when emptying and pull a lever that
clears the deck of grass -- and much harder to clog. Also a better
guarantee, through 2013 as opposed to 3 months.

Neither had an aluminium deck, the sxg19 is 8 mm steel, the Kubota a
little thinner but still very heavy. (The older Kubota had a little
rust on the inside of the deck, while the Iseki was still clean).

So, I take delivery of the Iseki on Saturday next, and although the
Countax has faithfully served to 10 years I will be glad to see its
back. Got a pretty decent trade in for it considering condition though.

Thanks again.