Old 18-09-2012, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default coals to Newcastle

Baz wrote:
Lucky you didn't get blighted! Although I've found GD seem to hold up
better than some - especially the bigger tomatoes.

I have not yet found the larger tom as tasty as the cherry type. For me
there is no comparison. GD and Sweet Million are to me and my family the
best by far.

I agree for eating, even for sandwiches, but for cooking it's nice to
have some larger ones. Although tbh, I'm loathe to cook with homegrown
tomatoes, it just feels wasteful. :-)
Our cherries are GD (which can go a bit squishy when they are left too
long) and rosada (baby pear shape, bit firmer, tend to stay chewier), we
got harbinger (medium round, slightly blight tolerant, iirc) and rio
grande and roma (Italian plum shape, not at all blight resistant!), plus
one mysteriously ridged tomato that should have been a Roma or RG, but
very definitely isn't! It's fruiting loads but not ripening well, and
is very very unhappy with the blight so it looks like I've only had the
one fruit that survived, despite the loads produced