View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 18-09-2012, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2007
Default Any tips for growing a vine in my conservatory?

On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 11:20:25 UTC+1, Ragnar wrote:
I was given a Pinot Noir vine as a present. I do not want to grow it outside as I would not expect any fruit this far north (Manchester). So I will plant it in a container in my conservatory. Any advice from anyone who has done this successfully? I am not able to cut a hole in the floor to allow the plant to root in the natural ground, nor can I grow it outside and train it in through a hole in the wall as I have seen suggested. Love R.

I was chastised recently for suggesting that Manchester was very far north.You may be interested to know that I and several others are planting vines on our allotments.
I have experience of growing four varieties outside at a site in Herefordshire with the following ripening times there,and make excellent wine from each variety.

Rondo(red) mid/late September
Bacchus (white) early October
Regent (red) early/mid October
Schonburger (white) early/mid October

Since we will probably not be able have access to the Herefordshire site for many more years,I am planning ahead and will be planting all of the above varieties in Cheadle Hulme (S.Manchester).Rondo and Bacchus will certainly ripen well here,and probably Schonburger and Regent.So I am planting 8 Rondo,4 Bacchus,3 Regent and 3 Schonburger.
I will be setting up a wire trellis,plant the vines 4.5 ft apart and train using Double Guyot.There are plenty of books around to advise on what to do..
Michael