Old 23-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Always Curious

Default What is this insect (x-posted)

Thanks to all who responded. This critter is indeed a Jerusalem
Cricket, as it is definitely what is seen in the links you have
provided.

It sure is a creepy looking, and very LARGE bug, but as it seems to
pose no risk to my person or my plants, I plan to do nothing but leave
it in peace. I'm not inclined to keep it in my terrarium, nor take
special steps to feed it any of the suggested snacks. I'm not
generally squeamish, but this fella hit a button.

I don't use any pesticides, and the folks that I bought the house from
didn't either, but I haven't seen much in the way of lizards either.
I think the neighbor's cats have done that deed.

I can see why this bug likes my yard. I have a lot of tube roots from
some birds of paradise bushes. Those roots are probably the perfect
meal and the tunnel in which to live.

I was first worried that this was some termite queen or some such that
indicated possible infestation. I breathe a sigh of relief...