Old 18-09-2012, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing Cotoneaster berries for bird food

wrote in message
Not quite gardening but some on here may have an answer.
We have a couple of large Cotoneaster bushes which are popular with
the local bird population who are tucking in well,however a large
number of berries are falling and just lying on a path and flower
beds. It seems a shame to see them rot when in the depths of winter
the berries that don't drop will have all been eaten.
Has anyone any suggestions as the best way to store those I could pick
up so they could be used as bird food in a few months time.

G.Harman

Freeze them. I haven't tried with cotoneaster but it's successful with rowan
berries so should work.

Tina