Old 19-09-2012, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any tips for growing a vine in my conservatory?

"Ragnar" wrote in message
I was given a Pinot Noir vine as a present. I do not want to grow it
outside as I would not expect any fruit this far north (Manchester). So I
will plant it in a container in my conservatory.

Any advice from anyone who has done this successfully? I am not able to
cut a hole in the floor to allow the plant to root in the natural ground,
nor can I grow it outside and train it in through a hole in the wall as I
have seen suggested.

Love
R.

There are issues with grow vines in pots but all are quite easily overcome.

First is vine weevil which will find the pots eventually so it is essential
to do routine prevention, whether you chose organic or chemical is up to you
just don't do nothing!

Second is water, a vine in full leaf needs a lot, some sort of adjustable
dripper system is the easiest solution.

Third is the amount of grapes you can expect the root system to support and
ripen, experiment, if the number of bunches you get don't ripen, try
reducing to less the following year.

And I would suggest that sited well there is no reason the vine would not
crop outdoors.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs