Old 23-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Raul Essig

Default Arbutus disease?

I've posted two images of my diseased madrone tree.
to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

If anyone could help us out with diagnosing what
the disease might be, and the best course of
treatment it would be truely appreciated.

Here's what I posted toa.b.p.gardens, but without the
images:

We have a young madrone (arbutus menziesii) in our backyard
here in central california, zone 15 by the sunset western guide.

With the recent rains is has gotten a number of symptoms
and I would appreciate any advice as to how best to treat it.

The newest leaves have curled, turned red and appear
swollen, though the tissue is not soft. As the curled leaves
age they dry out and turn brown.
Peach leaf curl?
I've removed the diseased leaves.

The tree was planted about three years ago, and had
grown with three trunks instead of one to a height
of about 8 1/2 feet. Since it had already developed
into that shape when it was planted, I did not try
to thin it down to one trunk.
In any case I like the aesthetics of it this way.

One of the trunks, in addition to the diseased leaves
also has a canker about 5 feet off the ground.

Would the tree be better off with my leaving that
trunk alone, or would the canker eventually take
out the branch anyway, implying I should prune
it while trunk is less than two cm thick?

Thanks in advance.

-R