Old 20-09-2012, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Help for Heros?

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:04:27 AM UTC+1, Tony99 wrote:
On Monday, September 17, 2012 7:57:35 AM UTC+1, Steerpike wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19112550

I wonder as lots of group members seem to be involved with fund-raising
for "Help for Heros", if anyone can explain why they dont appear to be
doing what their given name suggests?

Interesting that no one involved with helping this dodgy charity to
operate, seems able to defend its practices putting 30% of donations into
swish new buildings, and keeping the rest for admin costs?

Steerpike and Tony99 are one and the same person (Chris Stevens) How sad
he needs to agree with himself to disrupt the group.

I think anyone from the Services, or their families, would agree that the
government should provide all the care and facilities required to give
injured personnel the best care available. In fact there should be no need
for a charity to be involved with any of that. However, the reality is that
the budget available to the MOD can either be spent on providing the best
equipment available to minimise casualties or it can be spent on treating
those who become casualties. Let's ignore the waste, that happens in any
branch of government. the only way to provide for the best care and
equipment for both the troops on the forward line and those who need care
afterwards would be to raise taxes to raise the MOD budget. That impacts
everyone regardless of their personal circumstances or beliefs. So to bridge
the gap, despite the fact it should not be there, charities are needed.

Those flash buildings on which you 'accuse' H4H of spending money include
the UK's first and best rehabilitation pool and centre specifically for
Service amputees , and some of the best staff, equipment, and after care
available anywhere! Ask any of the soldiers who have been through there if
they think it has all been wasted on admin costs. You might as well accuse
the British Legion or SSAFA of doing nothing for ex-soldiers or their
families. typical of the sort of comment from someone who has never been
there and is talking from ignorance rather than actual knowledge!

Apologies to the gardeners, I am here to learn about gardening, but I
couldn't let that one go!

H4H is a wonderful charity, one that I wholeheartedly support and which does
wonderful work! Chris Stevens should hope he never needs that kind of
assistance.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/