Old 23-04-2003, 02:33 PM
zhanataya

Default Avocado Plant

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:33:29 GMT, David DeMar
wrote:

I am interested in growing an avocado plant indoors. My question is, what do
I have to do for the plant to be able to bear fruit? Will I have to have two
separate plants, so one will pollonate the other? Or is the idea of having a
fruit bearing avacado tree indoors unfeasable. I have never done this before
so any help would be appreciated.

Also, which are better to grow, California or Florida avocados?

Thanks.

According to http://ak.essortment.com/growingavocado_rwfi.htm it is
possible and gives directions how to start and plant.

In Florida I believe the most commonly grown varieties are the West
Indian and Guatemalan, in California mainly those of the Mexican and
Guatemalan races. The fat percentage varies with variety; highest in
the Mexican and lowest in the West Indian races.

It has been found that non-setting of fruit is due mainly to an
unusual sex-reversal of the flowers that prevents pollination. The
difficulty is overcome by interplanting compatible varieties to insure
cross-pollination.

My list of compatible varieties is woefully out of date but if you
like I can send it along to you. It might at least be a starting
point for research.

zhan