Old 21-09-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default A rainy evening at the allotment.

"Baz" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

Yes it happens. Some people don't like any change even if it's for the
better and if you went in with both feet I can imagine the outcome.
Put stuff into a local show once, got 5 firsts and a second out of 8
and the rumpus it caused, "but I always win that prize...." I never
went back. Friend has had the same with her Cornish Pasties but she is
of thicker skin and even got Best in Show in the baking section this
year, bet that ruffled a few feathers.

If you keep your plot tidy, and grow stuff well, and they can see
you're a good gardener they will come around eventually. If it's that
clicky you may even start a new opposition faction. :-)

There were 8 of us who were "given" half alotments and 3 turned up at the
meeting. Funny how the 3 new tennants were made to feel unwelcome. We had
the law laid down to us by tennants who break all the rules, not directly
but through the secretary. Don't do this don't do that. Do as I say, not do
as I do is the message we all got. Clicky only scratches the surface.
Well, they will hate me more in time. The first thing is, as it is the
council which owns and runs it, they should examine tennancies and find out
who have inherited a plot without notifying the council in order to have
multiple plots. No one person is allowed more than one plot. I know of at
least one person doing this. A strict rule and is very easy to verify.

All I wanted was a bit of land to grow the stuff that I grow.

It's often the older tenants that break the rules.
Went down our site yesterday late afternoon to do some watering and as I
drove along I could smell smoke, turning to drive under the M25 the tunnel
was thick with acrid smoke and when I got to the site there was a disgusting
fire being tended by one of the older gardeners which he left
burning/smouldering when he went home. Strict rule is no fires and our
council "dump" is not a quarter of a mile away so why would anyone need to
burn stuff! The Council lady will see the fire when she does her monthly
inspection so he's in for a stern letter.

Do you know who is the Allotment Representative for your site, the person
that liases with the Council and goes to the annual meetings? That is the
person that should sort out problems on the site and ensure there is no
serious cheating. Probably one of the old guard too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.