Old 23-09-2012, 09:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia[_4_] View Post
I was just listening to it this afternoon. One question was from a woman
who lived in her motor home and wanted ideas for plants she could grow in
it.
I have mentioned here that we are away for a lot of the year with hubby's
work. I got fed up with renting houses so we bought a big caravan and live
it that when we are away. The past couple of years, I grew some tomatoes
in posts which travelled with us and they did very well. Not many of course
but a treat to have fresh. This year I planted my courgette seeds in pots.
If you have read my post on 'Sorry courgettes' you will know they failed.
Do you think that is because they were in pots; because they were moved; or
for weather reasons most others seem to have. When we came back last month
I transferred the plants into a big container in the garden. They just sat
there and sulked until they died off.
I don't think it's the pots. I grow mine in pots, so I can keep them in the greenhouse which is free of slugs. This year mine were slow in producing fruits, and a couple died off, though on the plus side they haven't yet succumbed to mildew which they tend to do towards the end of the season. Previous years I haven't had any problems with cropping. So i think the bad cropping is to do with the weather - lack of sun, lack of light, lack of heat. Probably not lack of pollinators because I hand pollinate to be on the safe side.