Old 24-09-2012, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default When to harvest parsnips?

David Hill wrote in news:ab0fskFfg6jU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 07/09/2012 23:32, Sue wrote:
Jim S" wrote
JakeD wrote in
Hello!

I'd appreciate some advice on parsnip harvesting. I planted a good
number of them in the Spring. Now they are almost three ft tall,

with
bright green healthy leaves. When should I start digging them up?

I'm
in the Southwest of England, in case that makes a difference... I

read
somewhere that it's best not to wait until after a couple of frosts
have occurred in the autumn. Is that good advice?

Thanks,

NEVER, NEVER until they have had frost on them.

They always do taste better after they've had a couple of frosts on
them. We normally leave ours in the ground and dig a couple up

whenever
we want to use them. Unless it was likely to freeze really hard for a
long time I don't think they'd come to much harm.

If you have plenty then do your own test, try some before frosting and
the rest after.
Peoples tastes vary, but I always prefer them frosted, to the extent
that I will sometimes put shop bought parsnips out if we are due a
frosty night.

I wonder whether a spell in the deep-freezemight work?
I believe it's something to do with sugar content, but perhaps they
should still be 'living' for it to happen.
Try here http://www.selfsufficientish.com/parsnip.htm

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK