Old 24-09-2012, 11:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I wonder whether a spell in the deep-freezemight work?
I believe it's something to do with sugar content, but perhaps they
should still be 'living' for it to happen.
Try here Parsnips Pastinaca sativa
Yes, I was told it's because the plant, as a cold defence, converts some of the starch in the roots into sugar. So it does need to be alive. They're still alive when you buy them (which is why you can grow parsnip tops in saucers of water). Putting them in a deepfreeze should kill them effectively ;-)

Maybe leaving them in the fridge for a while would work? After all, a frost above ground doesn't necessarily mean the root below ground freezes.