Old 25-09-2012, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Scary Study - Roundup

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article , times says...

As a farmer, I know what RoundUp does. I have sprayed quack grass
with it
and it works well at the recommended rate. Not bad on Canadian
thistle when applied when they are in the rosette stage in August
or early September. When used for its intended purposes it is a
great product. Other activities of Monsanto with breeding of RR
resistant varieties, I question.

The application, by farmers, of Roundup to weeds is not the same
thing as a
'lifetime feeding study'.

Though a lifetime feeding study should the study be replicable will
probably (after Monsanto has pretended that the studies are flawed,
hammered it with PR droppings and dragged its feet for a decade)
affect the application by farmers of Roundup.

Indeed. But then that would be the whole point behind the conduct of
such a study.

If you want to read some really scary stuff about the politicising and
abuse of science and studies have a look at "The republican war on
science" or better still, because it is wider in scope and not directed so
much at one party "The merchants of doubt". My old mate Fred Singer
appears in a star-studded lineup. These are both USA-centred but
especially in the latter the authors show how this kind of corruption has
consequences that go around the world.

Thanks David, I will, but no doubt will end up totally depressed at the end
of my reaidng.

We have seen some attempts to import some of this bilge (as if we don't
have enough home grown idiots) where Brendan Nelson incautiously started
sucking on the teat of Intelligent Design (AKA Creationism).

I'd forgotten about that! Yes, very disturbing. Mind you, I find Abbott
even far more disturbing than a whole boat load and any number of other
conservative politicans put together.