Old 25-09-2012, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Watercress

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:08:21 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:39:52 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:47:27 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

Oh dear, how many times do I have to say that I don't intend to grow it
*in* the water!

I'm not sure how you propose to grow watercress without it being in the
water. It's an aquatic/semi aquatic plant...

On the latest GQT Bunny Guinness says she grows watercress in her
greenhouse and in her garden. ~Watercress is traditionally grown in
running water but it is obviously possible to grow it in soil kept
wet.
Anyone tried it? Any advice out there?

Pam in Bristol

Yes, I've grown it at home.

I used one of those small plastic storage boxes available from discount High
St shops. You need one *without* holes in the bottom. I filled the bottom 3
inches with garden gravel, topped up with general purpose compost to within
2 inches from the top, poured in water until it was just visible as a film
on the surface, and planted the watercress [part of a shop bought bundle]
into it. Made sure it stayed wet all the time and had fresh watercress well
into autumn.

Thanks Kathy, sounds doable. May try it.

Pam in Bristol