Old 26-09-2012, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Losing pond fish food

"john ryan" wrote

Since the price of pond food has shot up, we got to wondering what else
would be good to feed the goldfish in the pond with.

It turns out that they really like cooked rice. We are now wondering if
there is anyway to keep the rice and other food floating for them, rather
than have it sink and get lost in the soft mud?

Get yourself a packet/tub of Tetra pond fish food and look at the
ingredients. That alone will tell you that what you suggest is not
sufficient for your fishes long term health. Wholewheat bread is just about
OK in the height of summer when the water is warm, this time of year easily
digested food is essential.
Anyway, you will soon be stopping feeding for this year when the water
temperature falls below 50°F.
Better to check water butts for mossy larvae and feed them to your fish.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.