Old 28-09-2012, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default The Crazy Year continues

Baz wrote:
Still not had any tomatoes yet! A couple are going pink now but it will
be touch and go if we get any before the cold weather / frosts kill them
off. They were hit badly with blight earlier in the year and I managed
to nurse some plants back to health with some anti-fungal spray but they
are fruiting very late.

What I would give to have a nice fat and juicy vine of red tomtoes in the
garden......Oooh, those days last year when we only had just a moderate
crop, and the freezers were full of broad beans, runner beans and deciding
which of them to keep or dry to make the room for all of the tomates and
recipes with a view to freezing them.

At least this makes me feel better, in lieu of my beans and courgettes ...
I have just picked 2 huge punnets of tomatoes! (Which are sulky and jumping
off the vines at me, cos I haven't picked any for a week, and even then I
was behind with the picking, so there are a number of split ones today!)

I've spent the morning polishing my tomatoes - this is /not/ a euphemism! -
to get rid of the sooty mildew, and I've sliced into my thumb with a serrated
blade whilst trimming the plants down (2 completely removed plants now, and
2 seriously trimmed), but I think they'll be going on for a while, touch wood.
(Some are even trying to flower again, which is amusing to watch - I am prone
to letting them go for it, just in case we get a mild autumn, I've never been
able to bring myself to removing flowers and the rest don't seem to be having
any trouble ripening with or without them)