Old 28-09-2012, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default The Crazy Year continues

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Still not had any tomatoes yet! A couple are going pink now but it
will be touch and go if we get any before the cold weather / frosts
kill them off. They were hit badly with blight earlier in the year
and I managed to nurse some plants back to health with some
anti-fungal spray but they are fruiting very late.

What I would give to have a nice fat and juicy vine of red tomtoes in
the garden......Oooh, those days last year when we only had just a
moderate crop, and the freezers were full of broad beans, runner
beans and deciding which of them to keep or dry to make the room for
all of the tomates and recipes with a view to freezing them.

At least this makes me feel better, in lieu of my beans and courgettes
... I have just picked 2 huge punnets of tomatoes! (Which are sulky
and jumping off the vines at me, cos I haven't picked any for a week,
and even then I was behind with the picking, so there are a number of
split ones today!)

Am I right in thinking that split tomatoes have had erratic water/feed?

I've spent the morning polishing my tomatoes - this is /not/ a
euphemism! - to get rid of the sooty mildew, and I've sliced into my
thumb with a serrated blade whilst trimming the plants down (2
completely removed plants now, and 2 seriously trimmed), but I think
they'll be going on for a while, touch wood. (Some are even trying to
flower again, which is amusing to watch - I am prone to letting them
go for it, just in case we get a mild autumn, I've never been able to
bring myself to removing flowers and the rest don't seem to be having
any trouble ripening with or without them)

Removing flowers/stripping, allows energy into the already set fruit.

Sorry to hear about your thumb, you must be in pain.
Baz