Old 29-09-2012, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Some things never change!

In article ,
Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in
:

The reason for crop rotation isn't just to avoid blight.

It is a reason, but not the main reason?
Other pests and diseases?
Am I right in saying that for eg: bean plants fix nitrogen into the soil
for next years brassiccas? then potatoes, then carrots and parsnip?

A lot of questions from me. Most of us cannot have a 4 year rotation, well,
me anyway.

Crop rotation as a method of disease control doesn't work on a
small scale, and it is pretty ineffective in other ways, too.
The conventional recommendation is never to plant within 10 yards
of where you did last year - and that's the distance of the
closest points. Get real in a suburban garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.