Old 29-09-2012, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default sweet peas already?

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:53:02 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

I see Unwins are advising people to sow sweet peas now. I'm in favour of
early sowing, but surely not till the current plants have stopped blooming.
Are there any other flowers that can be germinated in Autumn and will
survive the winter in a cold frame? Nice to see something growing when
it's so dismal outside

Lots. I'm about to start sowing my Autumn hardy annuals. I'll sow half
of my sweet peas now and the other half in spring. Plus:

Ammi Majus (they dislike root disturbance so sow in modules and pot on
carefully). I might try other Ammis if I can buy seed.
Centaurea
Cerinthe Major
Godetia
Larkspur
Nigella
Scabiosa

A sowing now and another in spring should give me a longer flowering
season.

I'm also going to try sowing some perennials - Achillea,Aquilegia,
Foxgloves and Poppies. If I'm collecting seeds from these now, then
nature would presumably sow them now.

The alphabetical order is simply because I've got the seed envelopes
in front of me and they're organised that way

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.