Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:22:58 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

It's strange, we always seem to plant potatoes in the spring.
Every year we get potatoes that have been left in from last year coming
up before those we plant,

but what percentage survived long enough to do that?

so why don't we plant them in the Autumn?

The earlier you plant them the higher the probability that something
nasty will happen to them.

Yes. People have already mentioned early frost and wet, but here
the ground fairly often freezes to a couple of inches down. So
there are three good reasons not to - except, of course, in places
like Jersey.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.