Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Frost already. Early?

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 11:31:34 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Having read the comments on CH, how low does the inside temperature have to
get before you turn the CH on?
I suppose mornings and evenings are more important than mid-day or overnight
unless you are in the house al day.

For me, 14C inside the house is just a bit too cool.

Cheers

Dave R

I suppose a lot depends on where the central thermostat is. Here it's
in the hall (away from the front door) and is set at 12.5C. There are
thermostatic valves on all rads. The kickspace heaters in the kitchen
are rarely turned on and one of the rads in the lounge and the one in
my home office are permanently turned off.

FWIW No cavity wall insulation as there are bats in the cavity.

I've also found it a lot cheaper to set the (21 year old) boiler
thermostat to low and both heating and water to constant. I was told
last week that as the boiler is about 85% efficient and a new one
would be about 90% efficient, it's not financially worthwhile changing
it.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.