Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan (BigAl) Alan (BigAl) is offline

Default This year's Good+Bad (please add your own)

Broad beans - Nice plants, sparse crop - Poor polination?
Runner beans - Good best I have grown in a long time.
French beans - climers poor, dwarf virtually yield free!)
Courgettes - failed - cold/wet/slugs
Peas - ok (good early crop)
Onion - ok (smaller than normal)
Tomatoes - really bad. Cold slow start, early blight
Chard - Most bolted early, some still cropping ligh
Beetroot - small poor, in fact lousey.
Kale - Russian red - excellent
Black kale - very good
Garlic - very tiny bulbs - excellent flavour though.
Parsnips - rubbish

Most of the veg seems to have hated the cold wet weather.
This is true of the flowers too. Begonias and pelargoniums have had the
blooms rotting from rain damage. Same is true to a lesser extent for
many of the flowers, those that survived past the seedling stage and the
marauding slugs encouraged by the wet weather.

Racking my brain to find a positive note on which to close, I can say
that I have not needed to top up the pond level a lot this year.

Al.