Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default This year's Good+Bad (please add your own)

wrote:

Broad beans - good
Runner beans - awful (slugged to nothing)
French beans - awful (slugged to nothing)

Courgettes - awful (slugged to nothing
Pumpkins - awful (slugged to nothing)
Butternut - awful (slugged to nothing)
Patty pans - poor (mostly slugged, 1 plant survived to produce a late
fruit) Peas - ok (would have been better if we'd stayed on top of
picking!) Mange tout - ok (ditto as peas - had some nice purple ones)

Carrots - awful (slugged to nothing)
Onion - ok (significant amount of white rot)
Leeks - ok (going well, hard to call atm)

This was my first year of growing more than just a couple of tomato
plants and despite it being a difficult year, some worked out better
than others.

I've only got a small area of the back garden to utilise so was limited
in what I could try but decided to plant a small number of various
vegetables and see how each fared.

Because of the weather (and because I don't have a greenhouse, and I
don't really know what I'm doing yet) I mainly bought small plants from
the garden centre to get me going. As I get a bit more practiced I'd
like to start more from seed.

Runner beans: given half a dozen beans by my dad (from his last year's
crop) they all did OK. I ended up giving plenty away as there were too
many for the two of us. Geting towards the end now, but still got some
to go.

Courgettes: accidentally had four plants instead of two (see broad
beans, below). I didn't realise they got so big so two of them got a
overshadowed by the ones at the front so didn't do as well. All in
all, too many courgettes and again, gave loads away.

Tomatoes: only had three outdoor plants, only one of which fruited well
but I had to take the toms off whilst still green and let them ripen on
the windowsill as the plants themselves were getting a bit "tired" and
couldn't take the weight.

Butternut Squash: from two plants, I've actually got a total of two
squashes. One is still quite small but orange-y and the other is tiny
and still green, so I'm not sure whether it'll ever amount to much.

Broad beans: didn't grow any. I accidentally bought two extra
courgette plants which had been mis-labeled as broad beans. I did say
I was a novice! For next year, I have already bought a packet and will
plant them November-ish for over-wintering and see how it goes.

Peas: nothing. Planted a dwarf variety but despite them flowering
well, they never amounted to anything.

Carrots: one of the few I tried from seed. Absolutely nothing. I'm
not sure whether they were slugged or just never really germinated but
there was nothing so much as a green shoot.

I have to admit that I've quite enjoyed the experience of trying to
grow veg, however frustrating it got this year. I'll probably try a
similar mix next year and hopefully improve on this year's haul.

--
Chris