Old 23-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Gina Daggett

Default Lawn Tractor Suggestions

This is strickly an observation as my yard is much larger than average...

Monitoring your group I see alot of folks looking for longevity from a lawn
tractor. None of the machinery suggested will come closs to matching the
longevity of a compact tractor. I mow 8.6 acres of burmuda and bushhog
another 9 acres. I own a 1967 Ford 3000 deisel that is still running strong.
I'll sell it for what I paid for it IF I ever sell it. The same can be said
for nearly any compact tractor built before 1980. These machines are built
for farming and will last forever mowing large lawns. Look at what the
highway dept in your area uses. Those guys have more grass than all of us
combined!

As for manuverablity, that's their weak point. If you must mow around
obsticles, a larger zero-turn commercial mower is faster but I can guarentee
it will be a pile of junk or heavily serviced (rebuilt) while my old Ford is
still running strong. I also have tha advantage of a PTO shaft which I use
to drive attachable emplements.

These tractors can be had for $3000 to $5000 in rebuilt condition. There is
an entire industry centered on rebuilding and selling them. They weigh as
much as a small car and are not sheet metal junk like most mowers. Large
turf tires allow them to have a footprint with similar lb-per-sq in as a
small mower.

Anyways...something to consider if you need to do large scale lawn and
garden.

Bill in TN

"MOOSE" wrote in message
m...
"Steve" wrote in message

Ron B wrote in message
On 14-04-03 14:09, in article

,
" wrote:14-04-03 14:09

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:14:14 GMT, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

Good luck with your Sears Crapsman, er. *Craftsman* mower.

Yeah...my neighbor cheaped out and bought a Craftsman last year.
Within 2 weeks the transmission crapped out, and he actually had to
fight Sears to get them to stand behind it.

Finally, he had a relative fix it, because Sears was giving him
problems.
I guess all that I can say is 'Vaya Con Dios' should you purchase a
Craftsman and expect longevity in using it.

You get what you pay for...

I'd put my old 1983 Allis Chalmers 914Hydro(Simplicity) up againt a

green
machine any day of the week! 20 years old and it still thinks it's a

pup.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one. I have been working on
lawn-mowers since I was about 12 years old. I have customers who
bought a Simplicity in the '70's and only bring it in once a year to
be sharpen and tuned. Amazing machines that with the proper care will
probably outlast your desire to mow your own grass. Also when they
break down, the company is still around and parts are available for
them. That is a very important think to be mindful of. Also looking
for a unit with single piece steel deck is a good thing. Tend to last
longer and do not rust through like the craftsman.