Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_12_] Sue[_12_] is offline

Default This year's Good+Bad (please add your own)

wrote
snip impressive list!
Probably missed loads of stuff.

I've only got a very small veg plot but we've had:

Potatoes - hubby always likes to grow a few rows of Arran Pilot. They do
take a lot of space but it's worth it to have new potatoes straight from
of the garden. They weren't too bad, perhaps slightly fewer than usual,
but we were lucky to escape too much blight.

Runner beans - red flowered variety; I forget the name. Good crop and,
as usual, ended up with too many at once.

Beetroot - great. Was pleased with these and they seem to do fine in our
light soil.

Radishes - a globe variety and best I've had. This year they didn't get
attacked by whatever creepy-crawly it is that sometimes likes to bore
into the roots.

Lettuce - Tom Thumb were good, except one half row sowing that didn't
germinate. I think that was because we had a bit of a hot dry spell at
the time. Lollo Rossa were an RHS freebie packet and were lovely; I'll
grow those again. Next year I must sow fewer lettuce at a time but more
often.

Salad onions grew well - ended up with far too many and they were
exceedingly hot!

Basil - disaster. Might as well not have bothered - covered in white fly
and looked miserable.

Purple sprouting broccoli - a disappointment atm. Great to begin with
but then I lost a few plants, probably due to cabbage root fly. Four
remaining plants are ok and hanging on, but caterpillars also had a go
so the poor things are looking tatty and sorry for themselves. I'm
crossing fingers and hoping they'll survive until next spring. Memo to
self: do the thing properly, use root collars next year and order
smaller gauge butterfly netting.

--
Sue