Old 27-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Karen Fletcher

Default power tiller: to get or not to get one

david wrote:
: "Betsy" -0 wrote in message ...
: I love my little Honda, which I bought after renting a Mantis several times
: and watching the fees add up fast.
:
: I've used it to turn sod into perennial beds. I've used it to dig holes for
: trees. I've used it to level a 50x30 foot patch of ground for raised beds.
: I used it to dig the holes into which I placed the supports for my
: trellises.

: I've looked at the Honda, it looks good for a small tiller, but will
: it turn over clay or just bounce on the surface?

A small tiller can tackle clay but you have to time it right. If the clay
is hard and baked dry or wet and sticky, the time is not right ;-)

I found when working on hard-packed soil that scraping a little trench
first helps the tiller 'bite' and get started with less bouncing around.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002