Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This year's Good+Bad (please add your own)

wrote in message
Broad beans - good
Runner beans - awful (slugged to nothing)
French beans - awful (slugged to nothing)

Courgettes - awful (slugged to nothing
Pumpkins - awful (slugged to nothing)
Butternut - awful (slugged to nothing)
Patty pans - poor (mostly slugged, 1 plant survived to produce a late
fruit)
Peas - ok (would have been better if we'd stayed on top of picking!)
Mange tout - ok (ditto as peas - had some nice purple ones)

Carrots - awful (slugged to nothing)
Onion - ok (significant amount of white rot)
Leeks - ok (going well, hard to call atm)

Potatoes - ok (but mostly still underground as it has been too hard to
dig!)
Tomatoes - really good (indoor and out, mostly still going strong)

Chard - very good (first year, looks like we have more than we can ever
eat!)

Raspberries - very good (best year for these ones yet)
Strawberries - hit and miss
Blackcurrants - poor (were goign well, then shrivelled on the stem!)
Whitecurrants - good (young plant, but best year yet)
Redcurrants - very good (still picking them!)
Gooseberries - poor (few and far between, although the ones we got were
good)
Apples - so-so (nice, but not a heavy crop)

Probably missed loads of stuff.

Runner beans - good, still cropping
French beans - good (after being hailstormed almost to death) still cropping
Courgettes, long, round & pattypans - brilliant, The round ones are still
cropping.
First carrots and radishes all failed due to wet weather, but after resowing
they were good, still cropping the carrots
Peas - slow start, didn't plant enough
onion sets - good
Potatoes, both early and maincrop got blight, although the earlies yielded
more. I dug woodash into the early bed but not the maincrop.
Leafy salad crops - quite good

Broc - poor
Cabbage - poor
Leeks - dire

Damsons - dire
Plums - zero

spring onions - awful
beetroot - despite sowing three times - complete failure
Got fed up with sowing spinach, what came up bolted at 2-3 inches high.
Next year I'll sow leaf beet instead.

I've had almost no problem with slugs (sorry, you don't want to hear that
;-p )

Tina